I started my career in studio ceramics and later progressed tocommercial production. My clients include Homeware and Boutique interior stores as well as 5 star game lodges, catering for both the local and export market. My work has been featured in various interior and glossy magazines. Some of my work also featured on the sets of advertisements and South African TV soapies. Commissioned works included pieces for local and international celebrities.
After the sale of my Commercial Production Facility I reverted back to studio ceramics where I concentrate on the creation of fine art pieces. I also publish a quarterly electronic magazine titled Into Ceramics.
- 1990 Group Exhibition: Ateljee Thijs Nel
- 1991 Group Exhibition: Ateljee Thijs Nel
- 1992 – 2007 SARCDA International trade shows
- 1999 New York International trade show
- 2000 New York International trade show
- 1998 – 2004 Various trade and craft shows in Europe and the USA
- 2008 Group Exhibition Upstairs@Bamboo
- 2008 Group Exhibition Artspace Gallery
- 1991 – 2010 Participated in Various Regional and National exhibitions of CSA
- 2009 Two Person Exhibition Upstairs@Bamboo
- 2009 Group Exhibition Opening of Artspace Warehouse
- 2009 Opening Exhibition Sandton CDC
- 2009 Oppitafel IX Artspace Rosebank (Curator)
- 2010 Oppitafel X
- 1991 Corobrick Award For Low Fired Ware
- 1992 Sculpture - Ekhuruleni Fine Art Competition
- 2000 Gold Award - Tableware SARCDA International
- 2001 Gold Award – Gifts SARCDA International
- 2002 Gold Award – Gifts SARCDA International
- 2002 Elle Decoration WOW Award for South African product
- 2009 IKON of South African Craft
During the course of my career to date I have contributed to the enhancement of the accessibility of Ceramics to the consumer market in South Africa. One of the things that I am most proud of is that my work brings the element of design to ceramics. This process allowed me to experiment with new methods of firing and the further development of raw materials in conjunction with suppliers. I see myself as a mentor and inspiration to aspiring young talent.