Tuesday, November 30, 2010

We will remember them

Sometimes we have to face reality, however hard it may be. For World Aids Day on 1 December 2010 I would like to pay tribute to people that somehow or another touched my life. Some I have known personally, others were an inspiration to me, and your legacy will always remain with me.

Sadly the ceramic world have lost many great talented people to HIV and AIDS.  Their untimely deaths left us with a sad loss of talent, but we will always remember them by the great work they produced.

According to UNAIDS estimates, there are now 33.4 million people living with HIV, including 2.1 million children. During 2008 some 2.7 million people became newly infected with the virus and an estimated 2 million people died from AIDS. Around half of all people who become infected with HIV do so before they are 25 and are killed by AIDS before they are 35.


Angus Suttie
United Kingdom
1946 - 1993

Ian Godfrey
United Kingdom
1942 - 1992

Matthias Osterman
Canada
1951 - 2009

Bonnie Ntshalintshali
South Africa
1967 - 1999

Read more about artists from Ardmore that died of AIDS

Barry Douglas
South Africa
1949 - 2008

Unfortunately I could not trace any ceramists from the USA that was lost to AIDS. If you perhaps know of anyone that I have omitted, please feel free to add their names in the comment box.

No comments:

Post a Comment